About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Friday, June 24, 2011

Yes, Angels Do Exist

I got home not too long ago from the port procedure at John Muir.  All went well, and it was a relatively minor procedure.  The surgery only took an hour and then another hour in recovery so it truly was a "quickie"!  Now that I am home and resting, I have to share one story about this particular experience.

When I was in recovery this morning, I was assisted by a wonderful African American nurse named Brenda.  She had a very gentle, soothing way about her that I liked instantly.  We chatted for a few minutes about what I was going through and I got the sense she really felt for me and what I am currently going through.  I realize that all nurses possess a great deal of compassion and empathy, but Brenda seemed to embrace me with her eyes and she somehow looked into my soul and made me feel calm.  She grabbed my hand and held it and told me to take things one day at a time...that all would be well if I could just go slowly and face the days one at a time.  She didn't pull her hand away; she held tight and just looked at me.  She continued telling me that in her spare time she likes to knit, and if it was OK with me, she wanted to knit me a little cap for my head that I could wear at night.  She said, "because no one likes to go to bed with a cold head, Sistah!".  She asked me what color I liked and I told her my color these days is pink, definitely pink.  Hope for a cure.  So Brenda said, "pink, it is!" and she told me she would send it to my home address.  I think that somehow God knew I needed an extra bit of love today and He sent Brenda my way.  What a wonderful thing.

2 comments:

  1. You may not have many people commenting. But, I can tell you for sure that there are a bunch of us who religiously read your blog. So, on behalf of the silent majority I say "keep up the good work - we're proud of you and we love you". Gary C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an inspiring story and a great way to start the week. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete