About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thursday, June 9th - GOOD NEWS!

This day will be one I remember for two very good reasons:

1) Our daughter, Maddie, turned 13!  A true teenager and beautiful in every sense of the word.  We are so proud of her.  I can't believe I became a mother 13 years ago today.

2) Dr. Eigelberger called with some fantastic pathology news - out of 22 lymph nodes taken during surgery last Friday only ONE had cancer!!  This is very promising and means that most likely there is no cancer anywhere else.  Whew!  I now can feel great about exhaling!  I will still have a PET scan and it will probably still mean some form of chemotheraphy but THIS IS GOOD NEWS.  Also good news is that the type of cancer I had is called hormone receptor - positive.  This basically means that my breast cancer’s cells have a significant number of receptors for either estrogen or progesterone, and is very likely to respond to hormonal therapies.  Part of my treatment will most likely include a drug called Tamoxifen, and it has been clinically proven to keep cancers like mine away.  Woo hoo!  We have a meeting with my oncologist tomorrow, Dr. Tiffany Svan, and she will probably have the entire pathology report to discuss.  I promise to post more once I know more, but for now take comfort in knowing that WE ARE ONE STEP CLOSER TO BEING CANCER-FREE!  Life is good.  Keep those prayers comin'...they are working!!! XO

No comments:

Post a Comment