About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Friday, June 17, 2011

Thursday, June 16 - Sportin' a NEW DO!

We had a family conference this week to discuss the dilemma of all my hair falling out.  I have been wearing it fairly long for the last few years (just past shoulder length) so the thought of all of it coming out is not necessarily a happy one.  But that being said, I will take it all in stride and have a little fun with it!  I've always wanted to try a choppy, short hairstyle but there never seemed to be a good time to try it.  I think longer is more asthetically pleasing on me, but shorter is so much easier!  Especially with all the exercising and bike riding I do.  It's just wash, quickly, and go!

Carolyn is the one who is most upset by the idea of my hair loss...the other two are seeming to take it in stride.  We talked about it and decided that we will take the process in baby steps; first I would get a short haircut (so they would get used to seeing me with shorter hair), and then wait for the first few weeks.  As soon as it starts to feel like it is going to fall out, I will let them have fun with the scissors and do whatever craziness they want (supervised, of course!).  Then Harun will do the shaving with some tools we have at home...I have been told it just feels better to shave it once it all starts to go.

So, with the blessing of my kids and husband, I went and had 4 inches of hair cut off today.  The girls found a photo of a cut they liked on the internet and we took it down to Great Clips.  The stylist did a decent job, but it sure feels weird!  It definitely will take some getting used to.  The oncologist said that I could expect to lose my hair about the time of my second treatment, so that means around July 14th.  So from now until July 14th I am sporting a short, blond bob!

I think in Lake Tahoe on vacation I'm going to host a "crazy hair/wig/hat" party on one of the nights we are there in honor of all this craziness.  We vacation with a big group of folks in Tahoe in July and we always get together for parties, so why not ask everyone to put on a wild-looking wig or hat?  The kids could use funky colored hair spray and spike their hair...something like that.  I will run the idea by the group to see if it will be well received.  I think it sounds like fun!

Next on the list: wig shopping.  Going to get to that next week.

2 comments:

  1. tamara - i've been reading your blog. you are amazing. AND, i know you'll ROCK your new short do - crazy, spiky, shaved, whatever. love you, me (oh, and we still need a cocoa fix if you feel up to coming out some morning) wendy and i are sending all our love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Tamara, don't go out a buy a wig until you know for sure, my son-in-law did not loose any hair on his head, but he did lose hair in other places that would be TMI ;-)

    ReplyDelete