About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Monday, June 13 - What a beautiful day...

Harun drove me down to San Ramon to my appointment at Dr. Wotowic's offices this afternoon.  What a glorious day it is!  Dr. W said that it was time to have my drains removed (3) and I couldn't have been more elated!  These gosh darn drains underneath each armpit were the most uncomfortable, annoying, painful, itchy things imaginable.  They were such a constant source of pain for me over the past 10 days; they made it difficult to move around, to sit, to sleep, etc., so  I was so thrilled to see this day come.

Even with the drains removed, the underarm area is still incredibly sore and tender so I will continue to take the pain pills until no longer needed.  Dr. W said that showering was still not allowed (due to the remaining sutures) but that I could probably drive come Wednesday.  Woo hoo...freedom!  I didn't ask about biking yet, because I'm pretty sure he'd put the kybosh on that this early in the recovery, but I will ask when I see him next week.  He said my "new girls" were lookin' good, and gave them a little lift (he injected 30cc of saline solution into each tissue expander in each breast).  It was really quite cool - the tissue expander was surgically inserted after the mastectomy and over the next few weeks he will do these injections until I am the chosen size.  I gotta say, they are looking pretty nifty.  There is a very small, unnoticable port in each tissue expander and it is through this port where they insert the needle to inject the solution.  (If there wasn't a port, I suppose they would "pop" the little saline balloon.)  Sounds kinda gross, but it was actually quite neato.  I did not feel a thing while they did this - very weird.  In fact, I don't have any sensation in the new breasts at all.  I can run my hand across the skin and it just feels numb.  This will definitely take some getting used to.

I will see Dr. W again next Monday and the reason for the appointment will be twofold - first, to remove the sutures and second, to give the girls another injection with saline.

I am tired tonight, but definitely relaxed and content.  I am making it a point to celebrate small victories...and today's small victory (having the drains removed) has made me happy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment