About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

May 3 - Cancer Support Group

In the effort to "do everything they are telling me", I visit the Cancer Support Center in Pleasant Hill.  Wonderful place, wonderful people.  I attend a session for newly-diagnosed breast cancer patients which feels kinda weird because everyone there is well past 60.  Sweet people, but I feel really out of place.  Most of the stories are about late stage cancer; chemo, radiation, etc.  We go around the circle and I share my experience with the group.  I am in such a different place than most of these women.  I am only seeing this as a brief "speed bump" in my life...while they seem way too serious about the whole thing.  A presenter arrives for the last hour who gives a talk about positive visualization and meditation and how they can help during treatment.  I liked that part.  God bless the people who work there - I feel they really provide a safe, caring environment for those who need additional support during cancer, but it is just not for me.  I have so many family members and friends who I can confide in; I am lucky.  I felt so sad and heavy after leaving the center, like I now had my fellow cancer-sufferer worries on my back as well.  I decided not to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment