About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

April 26, 2011 - Biopsy

The biopsy cracked me up because the best way I can describe it is that you are "worked on", almost like a car in a car shop!  You lay flat on a table and your breasts hang through an opening on the table...then you are raised up by a hydraulic thingy (think of your car being jacked up!) so that the doctor can work underneath you.  Fascinating.  They poke you with a numbing agent in the affected area and then get to work; taking samples of the tissue in question with a very small needle.  During the process they also insert a very small "marker" into the affected breast.  It looks like a fleck of gold, actually.  They tell me that this marker will show them instantly where the cancer is, in the event that surgery needs to be performed.  It's over lickety split, in about 15 minutes.  They lower me from the table and then take some additional glamor shots with the mammogram machine, then give me a bandaid and an ice pack.  The breast was definitely sore that day and the day following, but quickly healed.  They told me the results would be back the following day by 2pm.  EGADS...the waiting!

No comments:

Post a Comment