About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Friday, September 2, 2011

Friday, September 2 - 2nd Taxol Chemo

As I write this I am fuzzy and light-headed, so please forgive me if anything I post sounds strange!  I had a chemo treatment at 10 this morning, then lunch and a nap and sitting here at the computer, I still feel a little groggy.  God bless Mom, who took me to yet another chemo infusion.  She's been incredible and I love having her with me for my treatments.  There's always something comforting about having your mom by your side, no matter what your age!

Today's infusion was a little different because based on how the treatment went last week, the doctor decided to change some medications for me.  (I go to these Taxol treatments every Friday now.)  Last week on days 3 and 4 following the infusion my GI tract was extremely upset and I was in and out of the bathroom for what seemed like every other hour!  It wasn't exactly nausea, but more of a stomach discomfort and definitely a lot of bathroom time.  I told this to Dr. Svahn and she said it is possible that Taxol, or the preservative/agent that they mix with the Taxol is upsetting my system and that it happens with a small fraction of her patients.  I am wondering, why does it seem I am always included in the "small fraction" of her patients with awful side affects?!  Bummer for me!  Or maybe I should consider myself "special"?

So anyhoo, based on this stomach issue I had, she advised I be given another anti-nausea med today before the Taxol (called Kytril) AND suggested Immodium for the bathroom problem.  I was also given a lot less Benadryl today; since I didn't have an adverse reaction to the Taxol while sitting in the infusion chair (by adverse reaction I mean no hives, face flush or difficulty breathing).  It's comical.  The first time they give you Taxol they also give you this little bell to hold and they watch you like a hawk for the first 10 minutes of the infusion.  The nurse told me that if I was to feel really hot and flushed or couldn't breathe I was to ring the bell immediately.  How comforting.  Evidently if you ring the bell, they come running quickly with a fast-acting steroid shot to help combat the reaction.  As they were giving me the Taxol, I sat there with my mom and we both had our eye on the clock.  Like I said, the reaction happens within the first 10 minutes so you can bet we were watching each minute tick away with great curiosity.  FOR ONCE, I wasn't included in the "small fraction" of folks who are allergic to the drug and everything went OK.  I didn't need to ring the bell.

I am learning so much from this experience, did I mention that?

Here's some good news: I don't have the tingling in my hands or feet, or extreme body ache, as the doctor said I might.  Yippee!  She also told me that Taxol is NOT a cumulative medicine; meaning the side affects will get better as my body learns to tolerate and accept it, NOT worse (as it was with my very difficult A/C treatments).  I am willing to let myself believe this and this time around I feel better prepared.  Two Taxol infusions down, only 10 more to go!

Some other good news: on the days this week when I didn't have GI issues, I felt pretty darn good.  I was able to take Conrad out bike riding in the neighborhood, cook dinner, do laundry and help the kids with homework.  This is very promising!  By golly, I almost felt near normal.  This morning I even got gutsy and went to my favorite 5:30 am spin class at the gym!  It not only felt great to exercise my legs but it boosted my spirits and moral to see my friends.  They all clapped for me at the end of class and I almost cried.  Dr. Svahn said that exercising is a great idea, granted I listen to my body and only do what I can.  I was so proud to make it through the entire class.  My plan is to attend every MWF, when I am feeling well.  I had forgotten how much exercising means to me.  It's such an important part of my psyche and I NEED it as often as possible. I have a strange feeling that I might be back riding my bike up the mountain sooner than I thought!

As always, I like to THANK folks who have been so generous, loving and helpful to me.  I won't name names, but you know who you are and I am so thankful to have an incredible support group of loyal supporters.  Yes, I am a strong person, but I could not get through this without the help of others.  I fully acknowledge and accept that.  Someday I know there will come a time for ME to help someone else out in a similar situation; and I will do so with a loving and thankful heart.

My good friend, Elaine Shingleton, is a nurse and director of the oncology staff at Kaiser in Walnut Creek.  Last night on the telephone she told me something very positive.  She said that in our lifetime, it is very possible that researchers will discover a drug or drugs to kill cancer without producing negative side affects for patients.  Basically, the future medicines will kill ONLY the bad cancer cells and not attack the good ones as well (as they do now).  Wow!  That is a very cool thought as I navigate through these crazy few months of treatment, experiencing side affects in my body that I wouldn't wish for my biggest enemy.  Now, more than ever, I am determined to get involved in more fundraising events to help raise money so the researchers can do their job and find us these medicines.  It is my hope that she, indeed, is right.

No comments:

Post a Comment