About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday, September 30th - ONLY 6 MORE WEEKS TO GO!

Hi everyone!  I apalogize for not blogging these past few weeks...there has not been very much new news to report so I haven't logged on lately to say HI to you.  I am plugging way and making it through!

Today marks my half-way point through the Taxol treatment!  Six treatments down, six treatments to go!  Needless to say I am very excited about this.  The past six weeks have gone by extremely quickly, as we are now very busy with the kids in school and all of their numerous activities.  I am trying to focus most of my energies on them right now and all they have happening, instead of dwelling on the strange side effects of the chemo infusions.  This seems to be working for me because as I said, the weeks are passing quickly and it seems every week I am pleasantly surprised when Friday rolls around again.  And strangely enough, I enjoy my treatments!  I know that sounds odd, but here is why:

1) I adore my nurses and caregivers at the oncology office...they are some of the sweestest people you will ever meet and seeing them brings a smile to my face.  With every visit to the office, I realize that I am one step closer to finishing treatment.  I tell my nurses that as much as I love them, I don't plan on ever returning to visit them and they laugh at me.  I think they understand why.  I couldn't imagine having to go there every week if I didn't enjoy the seeing them so much.  I have such a new-found appreciation for those who working in the nursing field, especially oncology.  Many ladies I have met at DVMO have been working in the field for a long time, and they have such interesting stories.  I love when they tell me their stories.  Uplifting and inspirational, the stories make me feel like I, too, will be victorious over this disease and maybe one day MY story will be told.  Last week, a nurse named Judy told me a story of a young patient in her 20's who discovered a cancerous lump in her breast while pregnant with her first child...she had to have chemo administered DURING her pregnancy!  Unthinkable, I know!  Somehow the drugs they gave her where safe for her unborn child.  That child is now 8 and quite a firecracker, I am told, and his mother is doing just fine.  AhMazing!!!

2) The second reason I like having my chemo treatments is that afterwards I am really tired and feel drugged, but by Friday evening I am usually feeling pretty good.  It sounds ironic, but it's true.  Saturdays are great!  I am so happy this is the day of the week when we have lots of soccer and cheer/football games because I usually have enough energy to attend everything we have planned.  The reason I feel good on these days is because they give me a lot of pre-meds to combat the Taxol's difficult side effects, so I am still feeling the benefit of these pre-meds through Saturday.  Come Sunday, however, when the meds wear off, I usually feel a general malaise and stomach upset for a few days.  It is mild, but still troublesome.  I just keep telling myself, "I CAN DO IT!"

3) The third positive reason is that I REALLY enjoy having friends take me to my infusion appointments.  It sounds funny, but with such a busy family life it is difficult to set aside time just for visiting and talking.  I LOVE having someone different take me each week...it makes the treatment go by faster, and it is wonderful to catch up.  I have said this before, but I have such wonderful friends.  I like bringing them with me to give them a little glimpse of what my world is like these days.  Funny, but it's almost like sharing it with them helps me to lighten the load.

The newest side effect I am experiencing these days is a tingling in my fingers and toes; it is called neuropathy.  It's not painful at all, just irritating and there's not much too do about it but to try some additional vitamins (some B vitamins and Alpha Lipoic Acid).  It's a lot like when your foot or hand falls asleep; lots of pin and needle-type pricks.  The doctor said they basically just watch this to make sure it doesn't get too bad.  Bad, for example, would be if I couldn't put on my necklace clasp in the morning or button a blouse.  I haven't had this problem yet.

Like I had anticipated, my eyelashes and eyebrows are starting to fall out.  It's kind of funny, actually.  I look a little bit like an alien...since it seems every other lash or brow hair has fallen out but some still remain!  It's hard, but I keep reminding myself IT IS TEMPORARY...hair does not define me and neither will this experience.

Some weeks I feel pretty good, some weeks I feel like I have a slight flu.  I am not sure exactly why that is how it works, but that's just the way it is.  If you see me out and about or at spin class, then you know I am having a good week...if I seem MIA, then you know I am not feeling so well.  I mentioned this to the doctor and she said that's just the way it is.  How my body reacts one week to the meds might be different from the week before.  It almost seems to alternate each week...I am looking forward to the week ahead because last week was a doozy.  The good thing is that while I often feel a general malaise, I am still able to take the kids to school and practices and such.  Routine like this helps me to get though and I know it is reassuring to the kids that Mom is around and doing things for them.

I made an appointment in November to see Dr. Wotowick, my "plastic".  Once chemo ends on November 11th we will start making plans for my implant surgery.  Most likely this will be taking place mid-December, and as I had said before, it is an outpatient surgery and much, much easier than the double mastectomy.  As promised, I should be looking fabulous for that Christmas pageant!

Thank you again to all my helpers and angels.  I say a prayer of thanksgiving for you all every night.  I think I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel...

1 comment:

  1. Great to hear from you, and what a great message. I really like my dentist, but I don't look forward to seeing him either ;-)

    ReplyDelete