About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Wednesday, July 20th - Relaxing in Tahoe

Wow, Tahoe sure is beautiful this year.  I am not sure if it is because the lake is so incredibly full, or if it because I am feeling appreciative of the fact that I am here to enjoy it with my family and friends.  Either way, absolutely beautiful.

I was able to make the drive up to the West Shore last Sunday...slowly but surely.  I wasn't feeling my best but needless to say, I made it!  It feels great to be here.  This vacation especially is very laid-back and relaxing.  We always take off our watches while we are here and simply call it "Tahoe time"; meaning it doesn't matter what time it is.  We eat whenever we are hungry, sleep whenever we are tired or party whenever we feel like it!  It's a wonderful thing.

Another great thing is that there is no pressure to do anything special...the kids play outside in the woods and make up their own games.  This is the perfect locale for me to rest and relax and recoup after chemo.  I've been able to go down to the beach a few times and as long as I stay shaded from the sun, it's been very comfortable watching the kids play.  The water here is extremely COLD, but even so, the kids have been swimming from the shore to the pontoon.  Loads of fun.

My parents and sister have been a HUGE help to me; especially since Harun is still back in Clayton working.  They are helping take care of the kids, cooking, cleaning, giving me time to rest, etc.  I am so appreciative.  Harun will arrive this weekend.

I feel like I am starting my "upswing" after chemo...meaning I am starting to come out of the chemo fog and I am feeling stronger and better every day.  The nausea still comes in waves, but for the most part I am eating normally.  I notice I am a little tired up here, but I believe that probably has something to do with the altitude.  My doctor advised me to expect this.  The altitude can trigger anemia, so she instructed me to drink more fluids than usual and take it easy.  All in all, Chemo #2 did go better than #1...so let's keep thinking positive that #3 will be even better!  I have one more week up here in Tahoe before I have to return home for another infusion.

Happy days, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment