About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday, July 29 - Third Chemo Tomorrow

The vacation in Tahoe couldn't last long enough, that's for sure.  It was great and it was very bittersweet to come home.  Mentally, I am having a tough time facing the fact that tomorrow morning they will "knock me down" again with the cancer-killing drugs...I have remained positive this whole time but knowing that the nausea will return again is giving me anxiety!  I hate the fact that just when I start feeling better, it's time to go in for another infusion.  It truly is horrible.  The double mastectomy and subsequent recovery was a walk in the park compared to the chemo.  I would do anything to avoid this, but I realize that is not possible.

I had a blood test done today at DV Oncology to measure my white blood count levels and the doctor said that everything looked good.  My weight hasn't fluctuated at all which surprised me; I thought for sure with all the delicious food I ate in Tahoe that I would have put on at least a pound or two.  Don't get me wrong...I'm not complainin' but I'm just sayin'.

I having been doing my best to get the essential vitamins I need, but honestly when it comes to food, I've been not worrying about carbs or fats or proteins and just going with whatever sounds good.  One day in Tahoe that meant a chocolate milkshake for lunch...yum yum!  I seem to have weird cravings for things and yet weird aversions to other things.  Day by day, my tastebuds change.  Again, I am just listening to my body and giving it whatever sounds good.

A few things (sort of new) that I am experiencing as a result of the chemo are:
1) mouth sores (no fun) and terrible bad breath
2) I can't eat foods that are too hot or too cold; everything needs to be about room temperature because my teeth are really sensitive
3) my scalp is itchy and painful to the touch

OK, so there's all the bad stuff but I did get ONE piece of good news today from the doctor: it is possible that my eyebrows might not fall out!  Or at least they might stay for awhile longer, anyway.  She said that the eyebrows are the slowest growing hair folicles and since they haven't left me yet, they might possibly stay around through August.  After that, I'll be getting a different drug called Taxol and this will most likely wipe out the eyebrows.  I suppose I should appreciate having them for now!

The doctor also told me that this third infusion will probably be my hardest.  She said I will most likely feel the worst following this treatment and my fatigue will probably increase significantly.  I am trying not to think too much about that.  I just need to get through it...so prayers please!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tamara,

    Marcela and Jaime had a beautiful boy on Tuesday, the same day as my Dad's birthday. You know how extra-ordinary this is for them. Tonight, their first day back from Kaiser, Jaime reflected about how overcoming the chemo was for him. I'm not exactly sure why he made this comment, I think deep down he cannot not believe something so beautiful was possible after the damaging effects of his chemo treatments.

    Stay strong, each treatment is one step closer to your last treatment and cure.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete