About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Chemo ROCKS!

OK, so I am totally kidding by posting that, but I do try to keep my blog as positive as possible.  Actually, chemo stinks but I am doing my best to manage its ill-feeling effects.  It has been a little more challenging that I was hoping.

The day after each chemo treatment I receive what is called a "neulasta" shot in the arm.  The neulasta is used to boost my white blood cell count.  I actually felt much worse after the neulasta shot than I did after the chemo infusion!  Not only does the injection inflict the same horrible "flu" like nausea, but along with it comes a strange joint pain or ache.  Strange!  They advised me to take Claritin or Ibuprofen but it didn't do much to help with these side affects.

I am trying to take things day by day.  Today is three days post chemo and I am finally up and about, although still very weak.  I tire very easily and am not yet back to eating my normal foods.  Everything smells weird, looks weird or tastes weird so I am sticking to very basic foods.  The nutritionist told me that while crackers and bread probably sound about the best foods for my stomach, it is even more important that I eat lots of protein.  My sister gave me a bunch of Ensure shakes and they have been going down pretty easily.

I hope that I am on the upswing and will be feeling back to my normal self in the next day or two.  (Only to be knocked down once again by chemo on July 14th!)  Oh well.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment