About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Tuesday, November 8th - Dr. Wotowik Appointment

Now that chemo is coming to an end it's time to start preparing for my second surgery.  Yippee!  I can hardly believe it.  I saw my plastic surgeon, Dr. Wotowik, this afternoon.  He took a look at things and we discussed my new "girls".  He said that everything has healed just fine from the mastectomy and therefore we can proceed with "round two" of the breast reconstruction process.  Unfortunately I have to wait until Tuesday, December 20th...this is because my body needs time to bounce back after all the chemo treatments I have had.  Dr. Wotowik advised waiting at least a month so that all the chemo will have left my body and my white blood cell counts will presumably be back to normal.  The surgery will be done at San Ramon Valley Medical Center (at their outpatient facility) at 11:15 am and it's only a two-hour procedure.  I will be in and out that same day and should be feeling pretty decent right afterwards.  There are only a few restrictions following surgery (for about a week or two) which involve no driving or lifting.  Honestly, I almost cried in his office today...I am so happy to be moving forward with what feels like another baby step in this very painful and agonizingly long ordeal!!!  No kidding, come January 2012 I will be a WHOLE NEW WOMAN.

Next important appointment - next Monday the 14th.  I meet with Dr. Eigelberger, the breast surgeon, to discuss having my port removed.  Again, yet another surgery (albeit minor!) but it makes me happy to think I am one step closer to putting this behind me.

After almost five months and 16 treatments behind me, CHEMO WILL BE FINISHED THIS FRIDAY!  I am viewing it as the first day of the rest of my life. :)

2 comments:

  1. Excellent news Tamara, Friday will be significant milestone for you and your family. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The home stretch now for sure. Congratulations and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete