About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Monday, August 1, 2011

Monday, August 1st - I DO NOT CARRY THE GENETIC MARKER FOR BC!

Yippee!  Some really good news came my way today...the genetic counselor at John Muir confirmed my blood test results and I do NOT carry the genetic markers (BRCA1 and BRCA2) for breast cancer!  This is wonderful news for both me and for my family members.  Essentially it means that no member of my family is any more likely to develop BC over their lifetime than the person next door.  My girls are no more likely to develop this disease than anyone else because there is no genetic link.

This is also good news because it means I am not at a greater risk for developing ovarian cancer.  If I indeed carried the gene, it would have been necessary for me to consider a hysterectomy since breast cancer and ovarian cancer are very closely linked.  But alas!  It's not a worry anymore!  Woo hoo!

Still fighting the effects of the 3rd chemo (it's been the worst recovery from treatment to date!) but I will get through...

No comments:

Post a Comment