About Me

I am a happily married 40 year-old mother of three who was recently diagnosed with Stage 2 breast cancer through my first EVER mammogram. I am making it my mission to get the word out about the importance of annual mammograms and early detection. Do not delay this vital test! My cancer would not have been detected as a lump for probably 10 years so the mammogram was key in highlighting these cancer cells. Because of this early detection, I will not only SURVIVE this illness but be a STRONGER person because of it!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Tuesday, December 20th - Reconstructive Surgery

Hi all!  This morning I had my second reconstructive surgery at San Ramon Medical Center and all went well.  It seemed like a relatively easy procedure after all the poking and prodding I have endured this year!  I also had my chemo port removed - yippee!  It was bumpy and ugly and I am so relieved to have it gone.  Conrad asked me why I didn't choose to "bring it home" with me, but I explained that it had served its' purpose and was better off in the hospital trash can!

Obviously I am sore but I am so elated to have this procedure behind me.  I am still all bandaged up so I can't yet report how lovely the new "girls" look just yet.  I am hoping to dress up later this week for Christmas Eve.

Now just a few weeks of laying low and recovering and then it's on to 2011!  The Simbirdis have had an incredibly crazy year and we are all very excited to a better year ahead.  I wish everyone health, happiness and joy.  The best thing about having cancer is that it has made me appreciate everyone and everything in my life and I have been sincerely enjoying the holiday season, as crazy as it can get.  I read something in Lance Armstrong's book which has stayed with me; he said those of us surviving cancer are the lucky ones.  Sounds strange, but in a way it is true.  Having faced and endured a scary diagnosis and illness, we "get it".  We understand first-hand just how precious life is and realize that it's wonderful just to be here.


1 comment:

  1. Beautiful message, I hope you have a wonderful Christmas with your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete